Science and technology workshop for Northwestern socio-economic development
The workshop drew the participation of representatives from the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, including Prof. Duong Ngoc Hai, vice president of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, Prof. Academician Nguyen Van Hieu, former head of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, and leaders of functional departments, institutes and companies under the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology.
Representatives participating in the workshop from the Steering Committee for the Northwestern Region included Le Kha Dau, deputy head of the Steering Committee for the Northwestern Region, and leaders from functional departments. Representatives from provincial People’s Committees included vice chairman of Yen Bai provincial People’s Committee Hoang Xuan Nguyen, vice chairman of Lai Chau provincial People’s Committee Le Xuan Phung, vice chairman of Ha Giang provincial People’s Committee Nguyen Minh Tien, and leaders from Departments and Committees from eight northwestern provinces. The workshop also attracted enterprises from the northwest and other regions.
Representatives from the Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Industry and Trade, Ministry of Health, Ministry of National Defence, Ministry of Public Security, Vietnam Academy of Social Science, Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations, Vietnam Physics Association, Vietnam Geography Association, and more than 200 representatives, including over 100 scientists from institutes and universities nationwide, management agencies and enterprises, also took part in the workshop.
The workshop aimed to create an environment for scientists from institutes and universities, experts on northwestern socio-economic development, and managers in localities to discuss the demand of science and technology application for northwestern socio-economic development, obtain research results, and methods of transferring application research into production and life. Based on this, experience would be drawn to expand science and technology transfer and application in localities in the region; research needs and practical demands; establish cooperation relations between research and training organizations, scientists and management agencies and enterprises.
The Steering Committee for the Northwestern Region and Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, Vietnam Academy of Social Science, relevant ministries and agencies, and provincial People’s Committees in the region heard and exchanged management strategies on science and technology research, transfer and application for regional socio-economic development; and proposed contents which need further research, especially for planning and promoting regional connectivity with developed centres. Based on this, proposals will be made to the Prime Minister on tasks, mechanisms and policies which are suitable with actual conditions in each locality and sub-region in order to promote socio-economic development in the Northwest.
Deputy head of the Steering Committee for the Northwestern Region Le Kha Dau made an opening speech at the workshop
The workshop focused on the following contents:
- Research results about natural resources, environment, and territorial zoning for making plans on socio-economic development in subregions and the Northwest, especially research in the structure of plants and animals, and production processes which can be applied for agricultural development and rural economy in the Northwest; demands in applying advanced techniques, technology solutions and production which need to be researched and transferred; and experiences in research and application of science and technology which can be popularized and multiplied.
- Problems about legal environment, organization and management of science and technology activities, such as the management mechanism to create a healthy competitive environment which is suitable with the underdeveloped context and difficulties in the Northwest; financial mechanism to create motivation and promote self-direction among career organizations and individual scientists; management policies on the rights to use land and credit policies for manufacturing.
- Issues about the development of the science and technology market which is suitable for the Northwestern situation; the implementation and the demand for revising supporting policies of the state to encourage connectivity and cooperation among enterprises, farmers, institutes and scientists in production development and technology renovation.
- Problems in training, cultivating, and honouring scientists, enterprises and farmers in order to promote research, transfer and apply science and technology for northwestern socio-economic development.
- Problems in awareness and responsibilities of party committees and authorities at different levels with science and technology for agriculture and rural economy.
19 reports were presented and more than 50 posters were hung at the workshop. 89 articles from more than 250 Vietnamese and foreign authors were sent to the workshop. These are essential and important documents about science and technology issues related to northwestern socio-economic development. They are also the foundation to prepare for the state programme on science and technology for northwestern socio-economic development in the 2013-2020 period, and vision to 2030, which is being developed by Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology.
Vice chairman of Yen Bai provincial People’s Committee Hoang Xuan Nguyen made a speech at the workshop
Vice chairman of Yen Bai provincial People’s Committee Hoang Xuan Nguyen hoped that through the workshop, central and local science and technology agencies will closely cooperate with each other to further science and technology activities and contribute to socio-economic development in localities, in the region and nationwide.
During the workshop, participants discussed advantages and difficulties in applying science and technology in production in localities, and possibilities to meet scientists’ demand for science and technology study and transfer. They agreed that it is necessary to build a science and technology programme for northwestern socio-economic development. Le Kha Dau, deputy head of the Steering Committee for the Northwestern Region, appreciated the initiative of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology to organize the workshop. He proposed naming the programme “Science and Technology Programme to Promote Northwestern Socio-Economic Development” to make a regional plan and policy to promote socio-economic development in the region as well as ensure national defence and security.
Scientists from the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology made reports at the workshop.
Translated by Tuyet Nhung